This bronze statue, known as the Water Bearer, has quite the history behind it. Originally made of zinc, this figure was purchased from a catalog as a decoration for the former Clay Street Reservoir. It was set in place in 1883, 50 years after the construction of the reservoir to commemorate the first day that it was filled up from a newly-installed dam across the James River. This statue eventually became weather-worn and fell over from its own weight, breaking into pieces. In 2013, it was reassembled, and a decision was made to recast it in bronze, which turned out to be an incredibly challenging but rewarding feat. In the summer of 2015, it was unveiled in its present home on the Lower Bluffwalk of Downtown Lynchburg.
Lower Bluff Walk, 12th Street, Lynchburg, VA, USAGet Directions
Lower Bluff Walk, 12th Street, Lynchburg, VA, USA