Established in 1806, this restored public cemetery is a Virginia Historic Landmark on the National Register of Historic Places. Interpretive plaques, signage, and brochures are available throughout the 27-acre site. Features include a Confederate Section with over 2,200 graves of soldiers from 14 states, graves of veterans from every major war from the American Revolution to Vietnam, significant African-American history, and five museums equipped with push-button audio: Pest House Medical Museum, Hearse House and Caretakers Museum, Station House Museum, Mourning Museum, and Chapel and Columbarium.
The cemetery is also an arboretum of historic plants with specimens botanically labeled, including over 425 antique and heirloom roses, medicinal herbs, a butterfly garden and lotus pond, and over 700 shrubs and ornamental trees. The site hosts several events throughout the year including an annual Antique Rose Festival (April and May) and Candlelight Tours (October) enjoyed by residents and visitors alike.
Take a virtual tour!