Visit the Lynchburg Community Market, the third oldest continuously running farmers market in the country. Shop for fresh fruits and vegetables and beautiful works of art, or grab some lunch at one of the restaurant vendors. Farmers come year-round on Wednesdays and Saturdays offering locally produces fruit, vegetables, cheese, meat, baked goods and other specialty items. Located inside the Market, the Gallery and Alley offer artist’s handmade works.
History of the Lynchburg Community Market
Since 1783 the Lynchburg Community Market has played a key role in the development and growth of downtown Lynchburg. The first Lynchburg Community Market was located on Water Street (now known as Ninth Street) and was an important economic driver for the city. The 1783 Market was an open-air market, and served as the central social gathering place for the city. As Lynchburg grew, the Market was rebuilt in 1814 in the center of Water Street and served as a town square, with city-wide notices and speakers throughout the day and evening.
In 1872, the Market was enlarged and rebuilt on Main Street, between 11th and 12th Streets to serve the growing population. Completed fall of 1873, the new Market had enclosed spaces and an auditorium. Today, the Community Market stands on the corner of Main and 12th Streets, opening its doors on July 2, 1932. The market continued to play an important role in the community until the 1950’s when community markets across the United States declined due to the growth of supermarkets and suburban development. In 1987, the Market went through its final architectural renovation to date, with landscaping, new parking outside Farmer’s stalls.