Lynchburg: A City that Welcomes YOU
It’s game time for the Virginia Commonwealth Games on July 23-25 at Liberty University and several other Lynchburg venues! Here’s what you need to know about what to do in LYH during this exciting, action-packed weekend of sports competitions.
Visitors and athletes will work up an appetite while participating in the Games, and Lynchburg has an incredible menu to choose from. Whether a carb fix is needed (isn’t it always?) or a sweet tooth needs to be satisfied, visitors will have access to diverse and delectable dining opportunities from one of our incredible local restaurants. Lynchburg is also home to literally dozens of bakeries and ice cream shops and a quality selection of local breweries. And that’s just the beginning of Lynchburg’s fantastic restaurant scene. Check out some of our suggestions below:
- RA Bistro (American, Downtown, Outdoor Seating)
- Waterstone Pizza (Italian/Pizza, Downtown, Outdoor Seating)
- Shakers (American, near Liberty University)
- Water Dog (American/seafood, Downtown, Outdoor Seating)
- La Caretta (Mexican, several locations across the City)
- Choice Hibachi Buffet (Asian, American, Near Liberty University)
Lynchburg visitors will also have access to best-in-industry lodging options.
- The shoe-themed Craddock Terry Hotel is pet-friendly (it even has its own furry mascot, Penny Loafer) and offers shoe-shining services. Its rooms, hallways, and elevators are complete with original, historic shoe factory interior decor, like exposed brickwork and wood slatting.
- The elegant Hilton Garden Inn offers an exceptional modern lodging experience in keeping with the Hilton brand, including digital keys, indoor fitness, and pool opportunities, and an in-house restaurant.
- The 20th century Beaux Arts-style Virginian Hotel features vaulted roofs, curved windows, and skylights, and offers dining options like a coffee shop and the rooftop Skyline Grill and bar.
This city also offers guests of all ages the opportunity to learn new things at popular historic and educational spots.
- Point of Honor and Poplar Forest offer opportunities to learn about the early years of United States history through exploration, touring, and living history experiences like viewing archaeological digs (though at Point of Honor, only the outdoor grounds are open at this time).
- The Lynchburg Museum and the Legacy Museum of African American History provide comprehensive perspectives of Lynchburg’s history as a city from the colonial period up to the present day. They offer thought-provoking exhibits that illustrate just how important learning history is to changing the present and creating a better future.
- The Maier Museum offers a wonderful selection of American art dating back to the 1800s, and Amazement Square presents a multitude of opportunities for children to experience hands-on STEAM learning in an engaging way. You and your family can discover how our proud community has played its role in the history of our nation, while also (in most cases) enjoying the air conditioning!
Of course, Lynchburg guests also have access to all of the entertainment experiences that this city has to offer, from nature trails and parks to escape rooms! Here are some of our suggestions on fun activities in LYH:
- Jump trampoline park
- Rise Up Climbing
- Snowflex Centre
- Blackwater Creek Trails (Rent bikes from Bikes Unlimited!)
- One Way Out Escape Rooms
- Float down the James River (rent kayaks or canoes from James River Adventures)
Lynchburg is also home to many local stores and shopping experiences.
- Meanwhile Back on the Farm makes custom leather bags and accessories
- Gilded offers coffee, cards, and gifts
- Live Trendy or Die and Lexi & Lee offers women’s boutique clothing and jewelry
- Givens Books and Bookshop on the Avenue present a peaceful buying experience
- Or visit Rive Ridge Mall for a full shopping experience!
Lynchburg Is Here For YOU!
We’re ready to have a blast with you at the Virginia Commonwealth Games this year, and we’re excited to share the memorable Lynchburg experience with everyone who will be participating and attending! It is with great pleasure that we present to you the best of what Lynchburg has to offer, enjoy your trip to LYH!