During this Week of EXTRA Appreciation, we want to express our gratitude to all who make Lynchburg a wonderful place to visit. There are many parts of the city that make it a worthwhile place to be, and we’d like to say thank you specifically to Lynchburg’s local attractions, which work hard to provide a wonderful experience to visitors from all over the world.
What Local Attractions Do
The character of a local community is often seen through its third places, the opportunities for entertainment, shopping, learning and recreation. Lynchburg is fortunate to have a large and well-rounded variety of activities and experiences, there’s something for every guest to enjoy. From small businesses selling local goods to natural scenery for a relaxing walk to historic places where people can learn about the past, Lynchburg’s attractions offer a wonderful view of the innate beauty of Central Virginia.
The most engaging activities are ones in which people are able to learn something new and have fun while doing it. From our interactive children’s museum Amazement Square to the Lynchburg Museum to Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest and other educational and historic organizations, Lynchburg has a wealth of knowledge and fascinating stories to tell. With STEAM learning and interactive exhibits, comprehensive historical tours and displays, captivating storytelling, living history presentations, archaeological digs and more, these organizations know how learning is intertwined with personal growth. They are committed to providing this experience to all visitors and residents, and we thank these organizations for their dedication and hard work in creating and maintaining these important institutions of education and illumination.
Entertainment and Recreation
Lynchburg is also home to so many unique entertainment and recreation experiences, from year-round skiing to nationally recognized performing arts companies. Our city has much to be proud of and we take this time to say thank you for your commitment and perseverance in creating memorable experiences for our residents and visitors and keeping Lynchburg an exciting place to live and visit. Here are just a small handful of the places that make this happen:
- Rise Up Climbing provides an adventurous indoor experience for all of those who enjoy pushing themselves physically on their rock climbing walls.
- Snowflex provides year-round skiing, snowboarding and tubing activities for those who love outdoor mountainside adventures.
- SeaQuest is an interactive zoo experience in which people of all ages can meet fish, hang out with sloths, hold wallabies and be a landing spot for exotic birds.
- Academy Center of the Arts and Venue Cinema provide a way to enjoy the many genres of the arts and entertainment world.
- Jump offers a trampoline park for everyone who enjoys trampoline and acrobatics fun.
- One Way Out Escape Rooms teases you and your team’s brains to figure out puzzles that will enable you to get yourself free of the cleverly designed “locked” rooms.
There are so many more adventure and entertainment driven opportunities in Lynchburg, it’s no wonder locals and visitors keep coming back for more. They display Lynchburg’s passionate, exciting atmosphere and help remind visitors of the many joys of life.
Shopping And Dining
Of course, Lynchburg’s attractions are not limited to activities. There are also plenty of opportunities to shop local and find a chef-inspired meal at a local eatery. Visiting local stores and vendors gives visitors the chance `to find gifts and treasures to take home to loved ones or something special for themselves. Here is a small sample to discover for yourself:
- Gladiola Girls provides a laid-back boutique experience where you can find gorgeous clothing and accessory options.
- Stones ‘N Bones offers unique jewelry, beading and jewelry-making products, along with candles, incense and essential oils for all of your lifestyle needs.
- Spearman Artisanry creates diverse handmade jewelry, accessories, home goods and gifts so you can find something that fits your or a loved one’s unique style.
- Oxide Pottery reminds us of what the human hand can create from clay and how beautiful and long-lasting such goods can be.
- Taleteller’s Fly Shop teaches the fine art of fly fishing and how to tie good knots, and provides lessons and tours.
- The Art Box supplies creative people with all of the artistic materials and tools they need to express themselves through their art medium.
- Riverside Runners equips the running community with the right sneakers, gear and services to stay healthy and active. They also hold the Virginia 10 Miler every September bringing thousand out to test their limits.
Lynchburg’s restaurant scene is the talk of the town with taste-bud-pleasing dishes and drinks and crowd-pleasing atmospheres. For example:
- Rendez-vous serves up mouthwatering French and Caribbean food with a modern twist.
- Grey’s offers a welcoming bar/cafe atmosphere with eclectic American cuisine and a well-loved brunch menu.
- Magnolia Foods provides handmade deli and bakery foods, along with specialty cake-making services and a wine shop.
- Rolled Cold Creamery serves a unique lactose-free ice cream experience in which the sweet treat is rolled up, rather than scooped, with whatever toppings you wish to add.
- TY Thai offers several Thai favorites for your enjoyment, from curries, tofu and noodles to seafood, fried rice and teriyaki dishes
- Crisp reminds us with their handmade salads and juices that “delicious” and “healthy” do indeed go fabulously together.
- Blue Ridge Barbecue serves up BBQ dishes that’ll make anyone’s taste buds sing.
Recognition of Commitment
To all of our local businesses, attractions and organizations, we say a heartfelt THANK YOU! You are so vital to this city’s infrastructure, economy and community, and you keep the city and its visitors wowed. The recent COVID-19 crisis has been difficult, we know, but you have been resilient with true “I Am Lynchburg” spirit, stepping up to the challenge and serving the community in new and innovative ways.
Many of these businesses have adapted to continue serving Lynchburg with food and entertainment solutions. We love that they’ve made virtual tours, food pickups and live shows and exhibits available to customers and patrons, and we encourage Lynchburg residents to continue supporting these places. Our local attractions make Lynchburg such an exciting place to be, and we look forward to future visits, eating and shopping!