South River Meeting House

  • 5810 Fort Avenue
  • Lynchburg, VA 24502

In the mid-eighteenth century, pioneer Quakers settled the Lynchburg area. South River Meeting was organized in 1757 when Sarah Lynch gave 2 acres of land for the Quaker's first meeting house. The first meeting house burned in 1768, and a framed building was erected. Within 25 years the increased membership made necessary the building of a larger one. In 1791, John Lynch, Founder of Lynchburg, gave 10 acres of land and a stone building was built. The building has been restored to its late 18th century appearance.  Group tours are available, conducted by a costumed historical interpreter with 3 days notice. Self guided tours are available.

In the mid-eighteenth century, pioneer Quakers settled the Lynchburg area. South River Meeting was organized in 1757 when Sarah Lynch gave 2 acres of land for the Quaker's first meeting house. The first meeting house burned in 1768, and a framed building was erected. Within 25 years the increased membership made necessary the building of a larger one. In 1791, John Lynch, Founder of Lynchburg, gave 10 acres of land and a stone building was built. The building has been restored to its late 18th century appearance.  Group tours are available, conducted by a costumed historical interpreter with 3 days notice. Self guided tours are available.

Facility Info