BEAT BURG is Riverviews’ annual multi medium celebration of National Poetry Month throughout April.
Since 2014, every year we connect with professional, amateur and young aspiring poets, partner with schools (R.S.Payne, TC Miller, Dunbar) and businesses ( Robin Alexander, Galaxie Modern, Altria Chocolate, GLTC, City of Lynchburg) to create events and initiatives celebrating the spoken word. We also collaborate with “The Listening”, an organization fostering African American poetry and Spoken Word.
Our simple goal is to ensure every person in our community encounters a poem during National Poetry Month, the month of April.
We do so by:
• Posters with poems of all age groups from our poetry competitions and slams are displayed throughout Lynchburg.
• Restaurants Downtown use coaster printed with poetry of our participants.
• We also have “Beat Buses”, as four of the GLTC buses share poetry on their exterior.
• “Pop-Up” Poetry out loud will occur throughout Lynchburg by volunteers appearing at various street corners at various busy times throughout the days, citing poetry.
• Think “Flash mob” but poetry instead of dance.
In addition, poetry slams, rap sessions and spoken word events are hosted by Riverviews each week throughout the month of April.
Poetry matters now more than ever. Our world is saturated with text, Twitter and constant Facebook status updates. But with poetry every word matters. It encourages us to value the power of effectively chosen words. Many people associate poetry with unattainability. Through BEAT BURG Riverviews surprises people of all ages with the availability of poetry, making it engaging and accessible, encouraging all to participate and enjoy.
Keep a look out for BEAT BURG poetry in windows throughout downtown Lynchburg. Over twenty colorful banners adorned with local poetry will be hard to miss!
Learn more about how we’re celebrating BEAT BURG 2016 http://riverviews.net/events/beat-burg-april-2016/